Bonjour! Hope you're all having a nice day, it's lovely weather here in Edinburgh - sunny but not too hot. Early in the afternoon I went to see the new Batman movie ahhh, perfect, I could gush on forever about it. So many beautiful men playing amazing roles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my top crushes ever, I'm really excited to see if he will become a certain superhero.
Anyway, today I have a post about these yummy cupcakes which I've been mentioning. I was in the mood for something with berries, and in the end we chose blueberries. They created such a lovely consistency within the cakes. And our frosting ended up pretty thick but it's yummier that way! These would also be great without the frosting as breakfast muffins.
Makes 10 large cupcakes/muffins.
For the cakes:
125g unsalted butter
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
225g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
250g unsalted butter
575g icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Few drops red food colouring
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
2. Mix together the sugar & butter until smooth, then add the orange juice, eggs, flour and vanilla, continuing to mix.
3. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula.
4. Spoon the mixture into cake cases and place in the oven for around 20 minutes (do the cocktail stick check to see if they're ready).
5. Leave them to cool.
6. Prepare icing making sure you have let the butter melt to room temperature before starting.
7. Place the butter in a bowl and gradually add the icing sugar, milk and vanilla, and beat it until light and fluffy.
8. Pop the icing in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
9. Decorate however you wish but a simple blueberry placed on top looks nice!